The earliest work of the church is dated about 1113A.D. However, fragments of tombstones excavated in the churchyard and preserved in the church (the Sweeting museum) reveal that a Saxon church existed on the site of the present Norman building, without a tower. The original church as above, and the village was burned by the Danes in 1013. The church  was sufficiently repaired to allow worship to continue, until rebuilding of the church began a century later.