Around 1125-1127A.D. the first stage of the Norman tower was built. The work agrees with other Norman work at nearby Castor ( St. Kyneburgh), built during the reign of Henry 1, and there is no doubt that the same architect or master mason built both churches. The church was built to serve the needs of the three hamlets of Maxey, Lolham and Nunton. Maxey was the largest of the three and has grown, whilst the others have dwindled. Hence the unusual situation of Maxey church, away from the village, yet, equidistant from the once three hamlets. The church is built on the artificial 'makes-eye', or 'made-island', from which the parish derives its name.